- Diploma in Elementary Education (D.El.Ed) programme which can be pursued by students who have passed 10+2 (any stream) from a recognized board.
- D.El.Ed. professionals become eligible to work at elementary level schools and similar educational institutes imparting elementary education.
Functions of DIET
Every DIET has to perform three types of functions as envisaged in the Programme of Action (NPE, 1986). These are as follows:
I TRAINING AND ORIENTATION OF THE FOLLOWING TARGET GROUPS:
- Elementary school Teachers (pre-service and in-service education).
- Headmasters, Heads of school complexes and Education Officers at the Block level.
- Instructors and Supervisors of Non-Formal and Adult Education Centres
- Members of District Board of Education, Village Education Committees, Community Leaders, Youth and other Volunteers
- Resource Persons who will conduct suitable programmes for the target groups.
II ACADEMIC AND RESOURCES SUPPORT TO THE ELEMENTARY AND EDUCATION SYSTEM IN THE DISTRICT BY:
- Extension activities and interaction with the field
- Provision of service of a resource and learning centre for teachers and instructors
- Development of locally relevant materials, teaching aids, evaluation tools, etc.
- Serving as an evaluation centre for elementary schools and programmes for NFE/AE
III ACTION RESEARCH AND EXPERIMENTATION:
To deal with specific problems of the district in achieving the objectives in the areas of elementary and adult education. DIETs are a part of the larger strategy to achieve national goals in the areas of elementary and adult education. DIETs cannot, therefore, function in isolation and must play the role of supplementing and complementing the roles of other organization.
- Campus and Infrastructure: Land area available in square meters: Area 7 big -1K-12L or 9786 square meters.
- Director Resources: Library Seating Capacity in Reading Room - 20, Number of Books - 3500
- Physical Education Resource Center: Volleyball, Cricket, Basket Ball, Badminton, Carrom, Table Tennis.
- Pre-Service Programme: D.El.Ed
- 2 Days Awareness Programme on Recent Issues: HIV-AIDS, Child Labour, Trafficking, Environmental Degradation, Disaster Management and Right to Free and Compulsory Education Act.
- 4 Days Workshop on Education Today Society Tomorrow conducted for Teacher Educators by initiative of change (IOFC) Panchgani, Pune.